CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 28, 2008

First semester: Almost complete!

Ok so this is my first post so excuse the randomness.

Well I am almost done with my first semester of nursing school. Mind you I still have ATI's to take, return physical assessment demonstration (deathhh), and finals... blah. I can't complain though :) This has been one of the best/scariest semesters of my college life. I went from being a terrified student, not wanting to touch patients to actually having confidence with patients. My first clinical experience really scared me and made me question if I had made the right decision. I saw a trach suction... the patient's movements, noises and gagging really freaked me out. So needless to say I was lightheaded for most of the first shift. I ended up actually liking the OR (operating room), which I had been dreading since last year. I got to see an orthopedic surgery (drills and x-ray machines were involved) :). Then on my last clinical I gave a suppository and remained calm (yeah, gross I know, but I'm a nurse so these things come up). My clinical instructor was awesome and I could not have asked for a better, more encouraging teacher.

My grades this semester have been better than they've been in awhile. I like what I'm learning. Plus, it's fun to gross people out with what we talked about in class that day. Pharmacology is better this time around because I know how to study. :) Our teachers are the best and I couldn't have asked for better professors. The professors love us and always encourage us and tell us that we can do it. They even give us good luck blessings with fairy wands before tests. Silly, I know.

I'm also thankful for the huge family support I've recieved this semester. My parents are nothing but encouraging and not annoyed with me like they were last year. I'm so glad I can make my family proud and exceed their expectations.

My roommates this year are FABULOUS! I am usually not home alone and we usually eat together and watch our shows. Nisha is a great source of information and encouragement (she is third semester). Kim is so intelligent (4.0), she works very hard which helps me out a lot because she motivates me. We all make each other laugh which helps ease the stress. Our personalities just click.

The move to San Antonio hasn't been the easiest though. I don't get to see Adeeb as often as I used to last semester. I felt very guilty for quite some time because I moved away from him when I did get in to UT Austin nursing school. He has been nothing but encouraging, patient, and loving. I really could not ask for a better boyfriend. It's been a year and a half and I have never felt so loved in a relationship.

Ok so that's it for now. Study time and Nap time.

0 comments: