CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 31, 2009

I saw a miracale today

So this will be a quick post because I'm sick... yes already and should be studying.

Here's the background to this story:
So last week we watched the birth/labor video for clinical. Since I had no previous exposure to that process... I was completely TRAUMATIZED. Literally, I almost threw up and got sick everytime I thought about it. So of course I was terrified when my clinical instructor placed me in Labor and Delivery the first day of clinical (after seeing how sick I got during the video mind you, gotta love her!). So last night I looked at the birth pictures in the book to prepare myself.. got queezy once again.

So today we took a tour of the unit and I felt super sick just standing in the unit. Luckily we went to the nursery after that and I got to see the babies which helped calm me down. Then the time came to go to the unit... SCARY! So I got my patient and she wasn't ready to deliver yet... so I thought. So right when I get there it's almost time... great! So I was talking to the medical students who were observing with me and they were kind of telling me what to expect... not good. So then the time came to go in the room and watch.

I got to help support the mom and had a front row seat. And oh my gosh... it was the most AMAZING thing I have ever seen. A true miracle! It brought tears to my eyes and one of the biggest smiles I've ever had. I wish I could explain how great it was. All of my squeemish tendencies went away and I got to appreciate it for the miracle process it is. Now I am not one to pray for myself, but last night I prayed that I would be able to appreciate the process and not let my "grossed out" low tolerance get in the away. It worked! And God performs miracles every time a baby is born. I am so thankful I got to see it first hand. Possible L&D career... who knows.

I just wanted to share that because it was one of the best and most spiritual experiences of my life.

Off to sleep!

2 comments:

Katie said...

AHH...im so excited for you! I knew you would make it through a delivery! It's truly amazing, isn't it??? God's pretty amazing with those little babies He creates. You're right; it really is a miracle!

Heidi said...

That's so cool Jess! Giving birth kinda makes me go "Ick!" too, but i bet it is a completely different thing when you are there and you see the mother and the baby and them getting to meet for the first time. I bet being in the delivery room everyday as a doctor or nurse would be an awesome job! They say many doctors are depressed because they're around sick people all the time, but if a doctor was around birth everyday, i bet that would be one happy doctor!!